Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others. - Saint Augustine
I heard this story on Marketplace yesterday. The short summary is:
- Zambia is an incredibly poor African nation
- Zambia has had a large portion of its national debt written off, to help make poverty history
- Prior to being written off, an American financier bought a portion of the debt for $3 million
- He is now suing Zambia for $55 million - the full face value of the debt
- If successful, this would drain away any benifit Zambia would have received from debt relief.
This just boggles my mind. Buy from the rich, sue the poor.
God help us.